Tenant FAQ's

 How can I inspect an available rental property?

We make it as easy as possible for prospective tenants to inspect available rental properties. Times can be booked online at a time that is convenient for you. Once you have booked you will receive confirmation of the inspection time via email or SMS along with the opportunity to change or cancel your booking. 

If is not possible for you to book online simply contact our office and our staff will set up a suitable time for you.

Can I apply for a property without viewing it first?

We always recommend that tenants inspect a rental property prior to submitting an application. If this is not possible due to location eg. If you are moving from interstate it is a good idea for a friend or family member to inspect the property on your behalf.

What do you do with all the information I give you in the tenancy application, and how long does it take?

We check to make sure your application is complete and that you’ve provided everything we asked for. You can find the checklist of the documents require on the front page of the Rental Application Form.

We use the information supplied to verify both your identity and suitability as a tenant, run affordability tests against applicants, contact your employer to verify your employment details, and obtain rental references from previous managing agents.

We also run a tenancy check through a national database of former tenants to discover any past issues.

If everything checks out, we contact the Landlord who makes the final decision regarding your Application. 

Our office will endeavour to have an answer to you within 48 hours.

Please be assured that your personal information is kept in the strictest of confidence and will never be shared with a third party outside of legitimate verification purposes.

Are your properties pet friendly?

Some Landlords are more than happy to accept pets. If the property is definitely not pet friendly or the Landlord specifically will not accept pets, this will listed on the property details. Ultimately the property owner will have the final say on whether your pet is allowed or not, and this often depends on the type and suitability of the pet you have. 

What happens once I have been approved?

Your will be required to pay a holding fee of one weeks rent once your application has been approved. The property will remain available to other prospective tenants until the holding fee is paid. The holding fee will be applied to your first rental payment.

We will then arrange for a time for you to sign the lease and pay the balance of money.

How much is the bond?

NSW Tenancy legislation requires a 4 week bond to be paid prior to commencement of the tenancy.

NSW Fair Trading have a new system for tenants to pay their bonds – it is paid directly to The Rental Bond Board via credit card or BPAY.



What payment methods do you accept for rent and bonds?

We accept:

• Electronic Funds Transfers

• Internet Banking Payments

• Bank cheques

• Money orders from Australia Post

Cheques and money orders are to be made out to JOHN MOONEY REAL ESTATE TRUST ACCOUNT


What documents should I expect to receive before I move into a property?

You will receive a copy of your lease that you have signed and a copy of the condition report for the property. You need to complete your part of the condition report and return a copy to our office within 7 days of receiving it. If you disagree with anything on the condition report, you should request a meeting with your Property Manager to discuss your concerns.


You will also receive a receipt for the initial rent amount paid, and bond payment, as well as copies of access keys and any remote controls. We will also provide you with emergency contact details for urgent out-of-hours repairs.


Do I need to connect services to the property?

Electricity, gas, telephone, internet and Austar must be connected under your own name.

Our agency can assist you with this by referring you to “On the Move”, an organisation that can save you time by arranging your utility connections at the property at no cost to you.

Should I organise contents insurance?


Yes. Damage to your personal belongings is not covered by the property owner’s insurance policy.

When will my first property inspection be?


Your first property inspection will be approximately 6 weeks after you sign your lease, then we will inspect your property once every four months after that.


We give you written notice at least 7 days prior to the inspection, and quote you a 4 hour timeframe. If you are unavailable to be present for the inspection we will use the office keys to gain access to the property.


We will also check with you if there are any maintenance issues you wish to bring to the Landlords attention.


Can I make alterations to the property?


You must first seek the landlord’s written consent before you add a fixture or make any renovation, alteration or addition to the premises.


When submitting your request, you should try to provide as much information as you can about the change you wish to make to the property. For example, if you wish to install pay television, you should first find out exactly what is required to be done to the property. A landlord may also be more likely to agree to your request if you use a qualified tradesperson to carry out alterations.


If you pay for any fixtures in the premises, you are allowed to remove them at the end of the tenancy, as long as you notify your landlord or your agent of any damage this causes.

You must then either pay for the cost of repairs, or arrange to repair any damage to a satisfactory standard.


Examples of the types of changes that may be considered reasonable include:

  • installing window safety devices for small children
  • installing additional security features
  • having a phone line connected
  • putting a reasonable number of picture hooks in the wall 
  • planting some vegetables or flowers in the garden
  • connecting to pay television
  • replacing the toilet seat
  • installing a grab rail in the shower for elderly or disabled occupants.


Is it my responsibility to maintain the smoke alarms?

It is a term of every residential tenancy agreement that the landlord will install and maintain smoke alarms according to the standards in the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000.

It is a term of every residential tenancy agreement that the tenant is responsible for replacing batteries in any smoke alarms during the tenancy.

NSW Fire and Rescue provides a Smoke Alarm and Battery Replacement Service for people over 65 or people with a disability who have no-one to assist them. Contact your local fire station for information.

The tenant must not remove a smoke alarm, remove the battery (other than to replace it) or do anything to reduce the effectiveness of the alarm. Should the tenant find any issues it is their obligation to report it to us at their earliest convenience.


What happens if I cannot pay my rent on time?


It is a term of every Residential Tenancy Agreement that the tenant agrees to pay rent on time If the rent is late you are in breach of this term. You will receive a text message from our office should you become even one day behind in your rent.


Should the rent become 14 days behind or more, we will serve you with a termination notice, giving you 14 days to vacate the property.


If the payment of your rent on time becomes an issue, please contact your Property Manager immediately and we may be able to come to a repayment arrangement with the Landlord.


What do I do if I have lost my keys or lock myself out?


A duplicate key to most of our properties is retained by JOHN MOONEY REAL ESTATE for emergency access. Under special circumstances, and on producing identification, the keys can be borrowed during office hours but must be returned before close of business on the same day. If any locks are changed, the tenant is responsible for supplying 2 x copies to the Agent within 24 hours.


Am I responsible for water usage?


Provided the property is individually metered and water efficient, landlords are allowed to pass on the full water usage charges to tenants. The landlord is responsible for payment of the service costs component of the bill. Water consumption charges will be invoiced to the tenant accordingly by our office.


 Can I have another person move in with me?


Permission must first be sought from the landlord regarding any change to your tenancy prior to the proposed new tenant moving into the property. Any change of tenant or additional tenant must submit an application to our office with all supporting documentation. This application will then be processed and presented to the landlord for their approval. If the additional or change of tenancy is approved JOHN MOONEY REAL ESTATE will prepare any additional paperwork.


Is it my responsibility to change light bulbs during the tenancy?


The residential tenancy agreement provides that it is the landlord’s responsibility to ensure that all light fittings are fitted with working light globes at the start of the tenancy. It is also provides that the tenant must ensure that all light fitting have working light globes at the end of the tenancy.


The Property has developed mould. Am I responsible for this?


This is entirely dependent on when and how the mould developed. If properties are inadequately ventilated or heated, condensation and mildew will result. It is the tenants responsibility to ensure the property is adequately ventilated by regularly opening windows, particularly in bedrooms and bathrooms. Please advise our agency should any issues arise with mould and/or dampness. 


I have a repair, what do I do?


If something in the premises breaks down, leaks or needs fixing you should contact John Mooney Real Estate in writing as soon as possible. Even if the issue doesn't bother you, you should tell us about it because you may be responsible for expenses that arise from the issue if you didn't keep the landlord informed.


The landlord is not always obliged to fix every small thing in the property. They only need to keep the premises in a reasonable state of repair considering the age of the property, the amount of rent you are paying and the prospective life of the premises. They also need to comply with building, health and safety laws.




The law distinguishes between urgent (emergency) repairs and those which are not so urgent. Urgent repairs are:

  • a burst water service or a serious water service leak
  • a blocked or broken toilet
  • a serious roof leak
  • a gas leak
  • a dangerous electrical fault
  • flooding or serious flood damage
  • serious storm or fire damage
  • a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply to the premises
  • a failure or breakdown of the hot water service
  • a failure or breakdown of the stove or oven
  • a failure or breakdown of a heater or air-conditioner
  • a fault or damage which makes the premises unsafe or insecure.

If urgent repairs are needed you should notify John Mooney Real Estate straight away. We will arrange for the repairs to be done as soon as possible. If you cannot reach us, check your tenancy agreement for the details of the nominated tradesperson to contact.


  1. Can I have a pet after I’ve moved in?


In most cases, pets are considered on application. It’s important to consider the suitability of each pet on a case-by-case basis as obviously some pets are more compatible with certain types of properties. Ultimately, the property owner will have the final say as to whether or not your application will be approved with your pets.


What if I need to break my lease?


When you sign a fixed term tenancy agreement (lease) you are committing to stay for the full term. If your circumstances change and you want to move out before the end of the fixed term there are costs involved.


The break lease fee is a penalty you agree to pay if you move out before the end of the fixed term.

If the fixed term of the agreement is for 3 years or less the break lease fee is:

6 weeks rent if you move out in the first half of the fixed term

4 weeks rent if you move out in the second half of the fixed term


 What happens when the lease expires?


It is important for you to discuss whether or not you want to continue living in the property with the agent well before the expiry date of your lease, which allows everyone to make the necessary plans and arrangements.


At least one month before your lease expires, we will obtain instructions from the Landlord regarding their intentions for the property. We will then find out from you in writing your intentions to either renew your lease or your intention to vacate the property.

If you are planning on vacating you are required to give our agency written notice. A vacate form was supplied in your tenant pack at the beginning of your lease, alternatively you can print a vacate form off our website, or collect the form from our office.

14 days written notice is required before the end of your lease, or 21 days written notice if your lease has expired.


After my lease has expired can I just stay on at the property month to month?


JOHN MOONEY REAL ESTATE recommends to all our landlords that tenants remain on fixed term leases for their investment security. Should you wish to stay on a periodic lease we will need to obtain further instructions from the Landlord.


What happens if the owners of the property I am renting decide to sell?


There are a number of different scenarios that can occur if the owner decides to sell - these can depend on the expiry and terms of your lease agreement.


For example, if you are within the term of your lease agreement and the property is sold to another investor, you continue to have your rights to the property as a tenant when the new owner assumes the responsibility as your landlord.


If the property is sold to someone who wishes to live there, you will be given notice to vacate - this will usually give you plenty of time to arrange your next property.


As an existing tenant, JOHN MOONEY REAL ESTATE is perfectly-placed to help you find another rental property that suits your budget and preferences.


Moving House Checklist: